More royal troubles for the Kelantan Sultanate

From: Politikus
Subject: Kelantan: Overthrowing a ruling monarch...
The police chief, UMNO politicians, and vested parties are trying to
install a new Sultan by working with a Prince? Example of Filial Piety
of a Malay Prince...? The rakyat is awaiting and seeing the saga
unfolds... :-(

Monday hearing in Kelantan Ruler’s freedom bid

KUALA LUMPUR, May 7 — The Special Court today fixed Monday to hear
Tuanku Ismail Petra Tuanku Yahya Petra’s bid to be released from
hospital confinement, two weeks before the Sultan of Kelantan may be
declared unfit to rule.

“Monday, nine o’clock,” Gobind confirmed in a phone call to The
Malaysian Insider this evening.

The Sultan had been warded at the Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia
(HUSM) in Kubang Kerian since Tuesday.

A panel of lawyers, led by top constitutional expert Raja Aziz
Addruse, had filed a habeas corpus application at the Special Court in
Putrajaya this morning seeking to release the Sultan (picture), whom
they claim is being held against his will.

The writ, filed by JS Pillay & Mohd Haaziq at 11.45am, named Tuanku
Ismail Petra as the applicant, with an affidavit by the Tengku
Temenggong Kelantan, Tengku Muhammad Fakhry Ismail Petra, the Sultan’s
youngest son.

The writ named the Kelantan chief police officer, the Inspector-
General of Police, the director-general of HUSM, the director-general
of Health and the Government of Malaysia as the respondents.

Senior lawyer Datuk Param Cumaraswamy together with lawyers Gobind
Singh Deo, Datuk Mohd Haaziq Pillay, Malik Imtiaz Sarwar and Abdul
Rashid Ismail complete the legal team.

“This is the first time in the whole world a writ of habeas corpus has
been filed to release a Ruler of a state from detention by the
police,” Param said.

“We take the view that the Sultan is in hospital under restraint,”
said Raja Aziz, but declined to explain why.

The Sultan’s lawyers claim they have been barred by police and certain
parties from meeting their client since May 4.

Earlier today, the lawyers told reporters the Sultan was conscious and
mentally lucid, refuting claims the royal was incapacitated.

But The Malay Mail cited palace officials as saying the Sultan was
paralysed, unable to speak or eat and in no condition to issue orders.

“So, how could Tuanku have said he was being held against his will
when he can't even speak, cannot see, cannot eat,” the palace insider
was reported as saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment