No better reasons for non-Malays to hate the Govt of Msia

From: "gabby haslock"
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:07:10 +1100
Local: Tues, Oct 13 2009 2:07 pm
Subject: Re: There are no better reasons for non Malays to hate the Government of Malaysia.

Umno, MCA, MIC, Gerakan are all not aware of this discrimination and unfair
treatment? What a bunch of arseholes
"gabby haslock" wrote in message

> Subject: Chinese Malaysian, living in United States speaks
> up.... A Malaysian diaspora speaks up....

> I am a female Chinese Malaysian, living in the Washington
> DC area in the United States . I have read many of the
> letters that often talk about foreign countries when the
> writers have no real knowledge of actually living in those
> countries.

> Many draw conclusions about what those countries are like
> after hearing it from someone else or by reading and hearing
> about them in the media or after four years in a college
> town in those countries.

> I finished STPM with outstanding results from the
> prestigious St George's Girls School in Penang . Did I
> get a university place from the Malaysian government?
> Nothing. With near perfect scores, I had nothing, while my
> Malay friends were getting offers to go overseas.

> Even those with 2As got into university. I was so
> depressed. I was my parents last hope for getting the family
> out of poverty and at 18, I thought I had failed my parents.
> Today, I understand it was the Malaysian Government that had
> failed me and my family because of its discriminatory
> policies.

> Fortunately, I did not give up and immediately did research
> at the Malaysian American Commission on Education
> Exchange (MACEE) to find a university in the US that would
> accept me and provide all the finances. My family and
> friends thought I was crazy, being the youngest of nine
> children of a very poor carpenter. Anything that required a
> fee was out of our reach.

> Based on merit and my extracurricular activities of
> community service in secondary school, I received full
> tuition scholarship, work study, and grants to cover the
> four years at a highly competitive US university.

> Often, I took 21 credits each semester, 15 credits each
> term while working 20 hours each week and maintaining a 3.5
> CGPA. A couple of semesters, I also received division
> scholarships and worked as a TA (teaching assistant) on top
> of everything else.

> For the work study, I worked as a custodian (yes, cleaning
> toilets), carpet layer, computer lab assistant, grounds
> keeping, librarian, painter, tour guide, etc. If you
> understand the US credit system, you will understand this is
> a heavy load.

> Why did I do it? This is because I learnt as a young child
> from my parents that hard work is an opportunity, to give my
> best in everything, and to take pride in the work I do. I
> walked away with a double major and a minor with honours but
> most of all a great lesson in humility and a great respect
> for those who are forced to labour in so-called `blue
> collar' positions.

> Those of you who think you know all about Australia , US,
> or the West, think again. Unless you have really lived in
> these countries, i.e. paid a mortgage, paid taxes, taken
> part in elections, you do not understand the level of
> commitment and hard work it takes to be successful in these
> countries, not just for immigrants but for people who have
> lived here for generations.

> These people are where they are today because of hard work.
> (Of course, I am not saying everyone in the US is
> hardworking. There is always the lazy lot which lives off of
> someone else's hard work. Fortunately, they are the
> minority.)

> Every single person, anywhere, should have the opportunity
> to succeed if they want to put in the effort and be
> accountable for their own actions..
> In the end, they should be able to reap what they sow.

> It is bearable that opportunities are limited depending on
> how well-off financially one's family is but when higher
> education opportunities are race-based, like it is in
> Malaysia ; it is downright cruel for those who see education
> as the only way out of poverty.

> If you want to say discrimination is here in the US , yes,
> of course it is. Can you name a country where it doesn't
> happen? But let me tell you one thing - if you go looking
> for it, you will find it. But in Malaysia , you don't
> have to go look for it because it seeks you out, slaps you
> in your face every which way you turn, and is sanctioned by
> law!

> Here in the US , my children have the same opportunity to
> go to school and learn just like their black, white, and
> immigrant friends. At school, they eat the same food, play
> the same games, are taught the same classes and when they
> are 18, they will still have the same opportunities.

> Why would I want to bring my children back to Malaysia ?
> So they can suffer the state-sanctioned discrimination as
> the non-malays have for over 30 years?

> The injustice the non-Malay have to suffer in frightening
> silence is the most damaging problem one has to face
> throughout one's life. You just have to look at the
> mighty govt structures which completely favours only one
> race, the Umno Malay. The Chinese and Indians are treated no
> better than the illegal Indonesians. Racism and corruption
> are openly practised by the Malay politicians everywhere,
> Courts, schools/Uni, police, govt offices,
> contracts, GLC, NEP, ISA, local govt. Its so powerful and
> intimidating that you walk with fear and keep your mouth
> shut on anything and everything political. Religion is taboo
> unless you talk good about Islam.

> As for being a slave in the foreign country, I am a happy
> 'slave' earning a good income as an IT project
> manager. I work five days a week; can talk bad about the
> president when I want to; argue about politics, race and
> religion openly; gather with more than 50 friends and family
> when I want (no permit needed) and I don't worry about
> the police pulling me over because they say I ran the light
> when I didn't.

> Have we seen the light at the end of the tunnel yet (Annuar
> Ibrahim)? Or is it the head light of an oncoming Umno
> train ? Lets hope its the former for the sake of all fair
> minded Malaysians. The dream of a Malaysian 'race'
> in the future is nowhere in sight with the present BN govt.
> Where is Negara-Ku???

No comments:

Post a Comment